Friday, February 24, 2012

Oscar Predictions 2012


Well, it’s that time of year again: Oscar predictions. Film writers and bloggers like to write about upsets and surprises and snubs and guarantees...but the truth is, no matter how much everyone likes to pretend like they know what’s going on inside the Academy’s mind, we’re all pretty much flying blind. Oh, sure, we’ve got plenty of evidence to build our cases upon–the biggest being the slew of various committee awards given out in the months building up to the big night–but at the end of the day, those really don’t add up to as much as we like to think they do. The ripe, rich history of Oscar shockers proves that.

Below, I’ve listed my personal predictions, minus the BS–you’ll find no arguing for why one nomination will win over another here, folks. I've based my guess strictly on what directions I sense the wind of the Academy steering in, as well as, admittedly, some of my own personal hopes and preferences. Like many of you, the thing I look forward to most on Oscar night isn’t pretending to know who or what is going to win, but rather, kicking back with my notecarded predictions and letting the oh-so-fake-but-oh-so-glamourous tidings of the event sweep over me for 26 hours (or however long the broadcast tends to last). I feel good about my predictions–some more than others–but regardless of how well I do numbers-wise, the fun won’t be diluted by overconfidence or grandiosity (I’m not smart enough for that, anyway). So, without further ado, here are my picks for who will win big come Sunday night:


Best Picture 

The Artist

Best Director

Michel Hazanavicius

Best Actor

George Clooney

Best Actress 

Viola Davis

Best Supporting Actor

Christopher Plummer

Best Supporting Actress

Octavia Spencer

Best Original Screenplay 

Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris

Best Adapted Screenplay

Alexander Payne and Jim Rash, The Descendants

Best Foreign Film

A Separation

Best Documentary

Paradise Lost 3

Best Animated Film 

Rango

Best Art Direction

Hugo

Best Cinematography

The Tree of Life

Costume Design 

Jane Eyre

Film Editing

The Artist

Makeup

The Iron Lady

Music (Original Score)

The Artist

Music (Original Song)

Man or Muppet, The Muppets

Best Visual Effects

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Best Sound Mixing 

Hugo

Best Sound Editing

War Horse

Best Animated Short

The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore

Best Live Action Short

The Shore

Best Documentary Short

Saving Face



What are your predictions for Sunday night? Feel free to comment below.

1 comment:

  1. Nice try, but no match for FilmSnork's picks. www.filmsnork.com

    ReplyDelete